Thursday, February 28, 2013

First Wednesday Game Night

I have been meaning to make it to Boardgame Night at Endgame for some time. I'm glad I finally did. If there is a local game shop in your area that does this kind of open gaming you really owe it to yourself to go. I've been so enthralled by my own four monsters, this was a good reminder to get out and throw some cards and dice. Next time I'll be sure to sample some of the other games (that means you, King of Tokyo!) But for this Wednesday, we had some fresh blood in Wandering Monster.
Boardgame night

For a "fast food" round of Wandering Monster, we set out eight parties of adventurers for four monster players. Our goal was to finish a game in 90 minutes. I believed it could be done, and with the full faith of two players who had never seen a Lepus, plus one who knew his ways all too well, we set to it. Competition was fierce; here were some of the highlights.
Will Fearsome Claws win it for me?
Ooze was a first time player. He made a bold move against a party engrossed in inspecting a locked door. But without taking the time to inspect them himself, they proved more than a match. He lost his initial power of Sprinter, and the burst of speed it afforded, but respawned at his own starting space. By a stroke of luck, those stalwart adventurers wandered toward the ooze again, but turned their backs at the last moment, ignorant -- as always -- of their fate.
Now apprised of their strength, Ooze threw down some cards for their combat value and overwhelmed these adventurers' formidable defenses. They became our first of many casualties, and Ooze claimed first blood!
Our next confrontation came as the other three players vied to sink their mouth parts into Party #3. My troll was on the far side of the dungeon looking for some mighty powers, so I never saw how savory a morsel this was. The others seemed to really want some though.
"If party #3 survives this round I'll eat my hat."
Lepus got himself into position, risking all in a Monster vs Monster throwdown with the superior Ogre. A good roll put him on top, forcing the Ogre to sit out one round. Ooze meanwhile played a Dungeonmaster card, Wizard Remembers the Way, sending the adventurers in a random direction. Whatever the outcome, they would no longer be facing conveniently away from the bunny. There was a one in three chance they would swing back and face the ooze himself, but he took the chance because he had already been deprived of his starting power, and really had nothing left to lose! As you can see above, it went well for him. They showed him their backs. However, it was the Lepus's turn, and he deployed his Ceiling Crawler ability to sneak up, over, and past the adventurers to the Font of Slime. The slime granted him the dreaded Acid Breath, which he immediately put to use to clear Party #3 from the dungeon. The rabbit perhaps could be heard to mutter, "If I can't have them, nobody can!"
There were plenty more ploys, some more monster on monster grudge matches, and a few adventurers turning the tables on us hungry monsters. I for one had adventurers turn on me and send me back to a Spawn Pit. It keeps the action fresh though, so I don't mind.
The end game as often is the case was a close showdown. Ooze was across the board having carefully and effectively dealt with a crafty group whom I had sent through a difficult stone portal. The rest of us were angling for the last couple of groups. Ogre got the second to last one, only to be slowed by a Choke DM card. My troll and the Lepus raced for last bite.
End game at Endgame
Lepus had the legs for it, and having previously inspected this wayward bunch, played enough DM cards for the bonus and final feast! All in about 90 minutes, as advertised.
Now it was time to show our eatings and declare a winner. Although still gagging on that last bite, Ogre came out on top, with ten in total of two parties, beating Ooze with eight. And that last mouthful? "Almost Seven Dwarves." No wonder he found it a lot to swallow.
I'm sure to make Endgame a regular if not weekly event. If you're in the Oakland area, I hope to see you there.








No comments:

Post a Comment